Monday, August 18, 2008

Stop taunting me with your agreeableness and nice ass!



Maybe I'm just one of nature's pessimists, but I hate it when I get messaged at my GMM profile by a really cute guy.

You see, if I'm messaged by an ugly guy, or one with so many issues that he almost seems to have "FREAK" written on his forehead, it's easy to say, "Hey, I may be desperate and dateless, but I'm not that desperate and dateless. Back to the loch with you, Nessie! Hell, this actually makes me feel pretty good about myself, comparatively speaking."

And off I go, whistling a jaunty tune.

However, if I'm messaged by an attractive guy, then I have to take the whole deal a little more seriously. Such a situation began a couple of days ago. When I opened the message and saw some photos of the guy who sent it, for a second or two I wondered if he'd sent it to the wrong person. He seemed too good to be true. He was just my physical type: tall and lean to the point of gangliness, and although he didn't shave his head he had chaotic chocolate-coloured curls that I could easily get used to. The photos showed a rugged, fun-loving, unpretentious guy... who seemed to find my profile interesting enough to warrant a comment.

Since then we've sent a couple of messages back and forth, and I'm finding him more attractive with every exchange. Somewhere at the back of my mind I suspect that he's too young and too extroverted and too rough for someone as old and introverted and soft as me... but I don't want this to be so. And besides, if I rebuffed every cute gay guy who found me interesting just because there was a probability that it wouldn't develop into pet names and snogging, when would I ever go out?

So now of course I'm checking my email every hour or two to see if he's been in touch, and suffering the pangs of self-doubt every time the inbox shows up empty, and questioning whether I'm ever going to find someone I can care about or just die alone and unloved. You know, the usual. It'd be so much simpler if he was just another ugly weirdo.

Maybe I should amend my profile. "No hotties please! Only losers whom I feel comfortable rejecting!"

2 comments:

Dr. Sparky said...

I'm going through the same thing, but it is wearing thin. My guy doesn't seem to want to meet in person so ... screw 'im.

GTR said...

Dating sucks, dr. sparky. Life would be a lot simpler if there were just vending machines that sold men.

Of course, knowing my luck, I'd get the one that catches on the little spirally rack thing and fails to deliver.