Friday, July 20, 2012

On being a consolation prize.



Following on from my last post, I've realised that just lately I've been hearing this a lot:

"Yeah, I broke up with my long term partner earlier this year. It was a mutual decision, and we're still really good friends. Anyway, I'm just looking around and seeing what's out there. My ex? Oh, he's been seeing someone for a while now. No, I'm totally happy for him."

"Mutual decision" my ass. You were dumped, he's moved on embarassingly quickly, and now you're fumbling around trying to find a rebound guy. You would much rather be back at home, in your old life, with your old partner. The only reason why you're sitting here with me is because he ended that little romantic idyll.

That makes me feel so special.

My date last night was like that. My previous date, two and half weeks ago, was like that too. The other guy with great potential who balked when I eventually insisted that we actually meet for coffee... he was just out of a twenty year relationship. Apparently it was still too raw for him to do more than chat online.

And as I discovered a few weeks ago, one of the main reasons why my nascent relationship with Mr Singular failed was because he was still mourning the end of his short relationship with the man he still regards as the love of his life. I didn't even know this guy existed until a few weeks ago. Mr Singular seems to have recovered from his broken heart sufficiently now to consider taking up with me again. How lovely - he's now recovered enough, and desperate enough, to settle for second best.

I'd like to be chosen by a man, but apparently the best I can hope for is to be half-heartedly accepted.

To use a chocolate box metaphor, I'm the strawberry creme that's only contemplated once the hazelnut truffles and almond pralines have been devoured.

No comments: