Friday, November 1, 2013

Damned if you do...



Recently a friend of mine sent a message to a hot guy on Grindr (or some similar app), stating that his profile pic was stunning and offering some generic pleasantry.

The hot guy's response was, and I quote, "what about my profile gave the impression that I was interested in a fat ugly prick like you?"

My friend was devastated by this reponse, and I think it was a deplorable way to treat a fellow human being. 

And yet I must admit that at the same time, there was something about it that reminded me of a classic feminist dilemma.

Say you're an attractive woman, and you're sitting in a bar having a drink. Skeezy men keep coming up to you, offering to buy you drinks, wanting to chat you up. You're not interested. What do you do?

A) Smile politely, say "No thank you" and then get dragged into conversation by their insistence and your own politeness, or,

B) Tell them to fuck off in no uncertain terms, and then be on the receiving end of a huffy, "Well I was only trying to be nice!" and/or "No wonder you're alone if you're such a bitch!"

Basically however you respond, you lose. It's no wonder attractive women are often aloof or over-defensive.

My friend didn't deserve to be sneered at by the hot guy... but then again, I can imagine that the hot guy gets a dozen unsolicited compliments a day from guys with a far lower sexual status, each seeking, in a wheedling way, to get him into conversation. He can almost be forgiven for snapping at them...

Or maybe he's just a narcissistic, entitled ass, relying on the fact that in the gay world if you're hot you can be as cruel and rude as you like and men will keep flocking to you.

Who knows?

No comments: