Thursday, May 15, 2008

Getting around to it at last



It took some discipline, but I finally managed to sit down with BN2 and discuss our relationship. Even the phrase "discuss our relationship" sends cold shivers down my spine, so I'm glad we've got it out of the way. "Discussing our relationship" always reminds me of Samantha Jones' famous summation of lesbianism; "nothing but taking baths together and talking about our relationship!"

Contrary to my apprehensions, BN2 claimed that he's not interested in a relationship. He likes the travel and the potential that his current career affords him, and he doesn't want to be tied down to a home and a partner. In fact he wants considerably less than a relationship, as this part of our conversation demonstrated:

Me: So we'll sorta be "friends with benefits".

BN2: I already have plenty of friends. I don't need any more friends.

Me: Okay. So just the "benefits" part, then.

I guess that makes us booty caller and booty callee. I've never been the object of a booty call before. How modern!

The only question is, do I believe him? As great relationship philosophers have noted since the dawn of time, "Whoever cares least, wins": maybe he's just defending himself by claiming to be less interested in me than he really is. Certainly his recent behaviour hasn't suggested that he's just in this for the booty.

Then again, I'm not exactly an expert in these things. I guess I just wait and continue to see how things unfold.

No comments: