Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Grappling with a 13 year age difference



It's been a while between posts, largely because I haven't done anything gay for several weeks... other than buying some new bed linen and listening to The Presets. I've been spending a lot of time with a new gang of straight friends, and with my social life full I really haven't felt desperate enough to wade back into the gay dating scene, with all of its irritations and weirdos and random photos of unattractive penises.

There's one exception.
A while ago I mentioned that an unusually appealing guy had emailed me, and I complained that attractive men were annoying because they get one's hopes up.

Since then we've been emailing each other back and forth every few days, comparing interests and cracking jokes. He's a lovely guy, if a little uncultured, and I would go out with him in a second.

But I haven't become carried away with it, because I don't think it's gonna happen, largely because he's too young and I'm too old. At my advanced age (late-30s) sending chatty emails back and forth a dozen times means that you're Definitely Interested. But at his age (mid-20s) sending a dozen emails is just... well... one of those things you do. This is the age group that made Facebook what it is - a place where you can talk every day to people whom you have no intention of ever actually meeting, even if they live on the same street.


He's just gone off for a few weeks on a South American holiday. When he gets back, perhaps I should let him know what I thinking. Chiefly, "I like you, I think you're way cute, and I'm interested in more than just emails. Are we just shooting the breeze here or do you want something more?"

Closely followed by, "Can I have your permission to get you drunk and naked (in the nicest, most respectful way, naturally)."

No comments: