Friday, February 3, 2012

Silence isn't golden.



A little followup to this post: on Wednesday night HD's ex contacted me on my Gaydar profile, in a message full of charm and interest. It took me a moment to realise that he had no idea who I was - my OKCupid profile and my Gaydar profile don't have a username or photos in common.

So I wrote back, responding to his questions and jokes with some of my own, and adding at the end, "By the way, just in case you haven't realised, I'm GTR (your ex HD's good friend). But if that doesn't bother you then it doesn't bother me." I didn't want to spoil the mood, but it's the sort of thing I needed to say at the outset, because it would have been weird not to mention it straight away.

Clearly it did bother him, because his response was... silence.

I am actually rather irritated. As far as I'm concerned, there were two acceptable responses to my message.

The first is: "Oh hey, wow, it's an embarassingly small world! No, I don't have a problem with that. Althought I worry about what HD might have told you about me..." and so on.

The second is: "Oh crap, really? Um... sorry, but I really don't feel comfortable with that. Too close to home, you know? I hope you don't mind."

Because although our paths haven't crossed in the real world, it's inevitable that they will one day, and having received the silent treatment online, let's just say that I'm not going to feel disposed to be particularly polite.