Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Re: Statement of Intent

Why am I starting this blog?

I dunno. I'm in my mid-30s, male, gay and in the closet - way, way back in the closet, so far back that it's snowing and there's a lamp post and I'm rappin' with Mr Tumnus. He says hey. It's quite nice here (Tumnus has a Playstation - woot!) and I'm in no hurry to step out. However, as I get older I feel the need to know more about what being gay means and what it's like for other people.

Before I made my first tentative steps outside my closet, I only knew a couple of gay men on the periphery of my social circle... and they were creeps. The only other gay men I knew were the obligatory gay characters on every groovy sitcom or drama show on TV, and I was beginning to suspect that they weren't really very accurate. Were all gay men really that straight-acting, good-looking and unsleazy?

So I set out to do some research. It turns out that the masculine, admirable sitcom gay from 2007 is about as realistic as the shrieking, feather boa'd sitcom gay from 1977. Thus the average person today is no better informed about what it really means to be gay than he was 30 years ago. All he's getting is the opposite extreme of PR.

But more of that in future entries.

On a lighter note, this blog is also a way for me to chronicle my adventures in that well-spring of unintentional humour, gaymatchmaker.com.au. There's nothing like horniness, desperation, poor communication skills and deep, deep vacuity for a really good laugh.

No comments: