Friday, June 22, 2007

You lefthanded, anticlockwise whorling, dense thumbprinted fag you



If you've been wondering about the current state of sexual orientation research, this article in the New York magazine condenses it down to a few succinct pages. I'm not exaggerating when I say that every single word is fascinating.

It's been suggesting it for years, but now science is proving that "homosexuality", as most of us understand it, is not a lifestyle choice or even a product of inadequate parenting, but a fundamental physiological condition. To argue otherwise is the equivalent of positing that eating bread crusts makes your hair curly.

The article notes that there are some odd aspects of the body, such as the direction your hair whorls and the density of ridges on your thumbprint, that are more prevalent in gay men than straight. For the record, I am right handed, my hair whorls clockwise, I'm the first son of my mother and my thumbprint density seems pretty standard - all of which are heteronormal.


However my ring-to-index finger ratio is as gay as they come. Damn you, ring and index fingers! This is all your fault!

No comments: