Thursday, December 8, 2011

Ich war der Führer in einem früheren Leben



Tonight I was supposed to be on my first date with Guy Two. Indeed, by this point, if all had gone well, we should have been naked, sweaty and deep in the throes of things that are a lot more fun than Angry Birds.

But around four hours before our date he texted me to cancel.

Sorry GTR I won't be able to make our date tonight. I'm away on leave in Germany for a while and will be back in mid January so will call u to make a new time. Thanks. Guy Two

Typical. The date I'm most looking forward to, the one that seems to have the best potential, cancels a few hours beforehand, by text, with no explanation.

I wasn't going to beg for an explanation, or express my frustration. I simply texted back:

Shame. I was really looking forward to it. Oh well, enjoy your vacation!

A few minutes later:

Same here buddy I have just moved into a new house and I have three days to get everything unpacked before going to Europe. Promise to meet u for a date when I'm back in late January.

Pfft. Whatever. Still, I texted back:

I'll hold you to that :-)

I won't, of course. If he doesn't contact me in January I'll shrug and chalk it up to karma (since judging from my history of utter romantic failure, obviously I was Hitler in previous life). You can't let these things get to you, even when you find that your evening consists of eating leftovers and playing computer games, when you'd planned on eating out and playing entirely different games.

No comments: