Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Is this how normal people feel about every date?



Last night I had a first date with the man I classed as "Guy Four" in my last post, who has slipped into my December dating schedule almost surreptitiously. Now I think I'll call him OON, for Out Of Nowhere, because it feels as if he just popped up without any sort of preamble.

He's a few years older than me but blessed with good genes. Neither good nor bad looking, neither fat nor thin, neither rich nor poor. However he was friendly, confident, intelligent and just wonderfully, refreshingly NORMAL. When we talked I got no sense of haunted vulnerability or bitchy condescension or dysfunctional attitudes. I was just talking to a pleasant, interesting man. We had drinks at a cool bar I'd never been to before, then dinner at an inexpensive Vietnamese restaurant with wonderful food.

We parted with a handshake and an agreement to have dinner again. I don't have a burning desire for him and as far as I could tell he didn't have a burning desire for me... but we seemed to like each other so why not do this again? It's all so relaxed and civilised.

No comments: